Monday, February 16, 2009

Roasted Pork and Potatoes

This roasted pork is from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food (which is one of my favorite places to go for recipes) but I did a bit of my own thing. I was looking over the instructions for the spice rub and realized it was very similar to a spice rub that my friend Lisa McGee gave me for Christmas (she gave me 4 different ones in these cute containers with recipes - great idea!) and so I decided to use that instead. The original recipe called for pairing the pork with a black-eyed pea salad but I had potatoes so I used those instead.




Roasted Pork



1 tbsp. paprika
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
2 pork tenderloins (10 to 12 oz. each) - I only used one because it was just me and Patrick!
1 tbsp. vegetable oil



Preheat the oven to 450. In a small bowl, combine spices. Place the pork on a foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet; rub with oil. Sprinkle all over with the spice mixture, patting in gently. Roast until an instant-read thermometer registers 150, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly before slicing.




Lisa's All-Purpose Spice Rub


1/3 cup coarse salt
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 paprika
2 tbsp. ground black pepper
2 tbsp. dried oregano
2 tbsp. dried thyme leaves
1 tbsp. cayenne pepper (optional)


Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 6 months.





This is totally my go-to recipe for potatoes. So easy and so yummy! You can use any kind of small potatoes - I like red new potatoes or Yukon Gold. The original recipe comes from Real Simple. If I don't have fresh garlic, I use Lawry's garlic salt with parsley in place of the garlic and salt. It's still very tasty this way.

Roasted Potatoes


1 1/2 lbs. red new potatoes, quartered (you can really use any amount - just adjust roasting time)


1/4 cup olive oil


2 cloves garlic, smashed


Kosher salt and pepper


Heat oven to 400. On a foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet, toss the potatoes, oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer and roast, tossing occasionally, until golden brown and crisp, about 30-45 minutes.


These can also go in the oven at 450 with the pork, just watch them to make sure they don't get too brown.



4 comments:

Erica said...

Looks yummy. You might need to get some new cookie sheets though if you are going to be taking pictures of them. HA :)! I need to get cooking!

nikki said...

Leave it to you Erica to notice my nasty cookie sheet! Don't you know they work better when they're all seasoned?! :)

Carrie said...

I've never made pork tenderloins. Looks pretty easy. I remember my friend in Vegas who made it with a super yummy fruit sauce.

BTW...your phone takes some pretty good pictures and I'm LOVING that you are doing this!

Carrie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.