Monday, February 16, 2009

Banana Bars with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting

I discovered My Kitchen Cafe from my friend Camie's blog and I am already hooked. Everything looks yummy over at her blog! I had a bunch of dead bananas and thought that this looked like a great change of pace from banana bread. The frosting is seriously to die for!!
Frosted Banana Bars
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (I used 3)
Frosting
Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 15x10-inch baking dish or jelly-roll pan or one 9x13 pan and an additional 8x8 pan. In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in the sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; stir into the batter. Finally, mix in the banana. Spread evenly into the prepared pan(s). Bake for 20 to 25 minutes (mine took 30) until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow bars to cool completely before frosting.
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
1 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
1 cup confectioners' (or white) sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
In a large bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, salt and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy. Set aside. In another medium bowl, beat whipped cream until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into cream cheese mixture.
Store in the refrigerator.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

That does look very enticing! Cool whip in the cream cheese frosting does sound awesome. I might need to try this one soon!

Amy said...

Owen is a banana head so this would be perfect for us! A must try!

Mel said...

I love your new blog. How do you cook like that and look so good?

Unknown said...

WOW, I am so excited! And you are an amazing cook, and baker girl! I love all your stuff! I cant wait to try out your recipes, I've always wanted to try making marshmallows, maybe I will have to give it a try! -BTW this is ash, not shawn

Anonymous said...

Nice post! GA is also my biggest earning. However, it’s not a much.