Monday, February 23, 2009

Korean BBQ at Home

Inspired by my husband's recent business trip to Korea, I decided to try my hand at some Korean food. Also, I was curious to see how this Korean steak compared to my family's tried and true recipe. It's called Korean-style Bulgogi (Jon and Kate + 8, anyone?). This sauce was definitely spicier which was yummy (I even cut down on the spice that the recipe called for - good thing!) and the meat had a good flavor even though it was not marinated. Usually, we'll never grill anything unless it's marinated but this sauce really coated the meat. I also like how the scallions were added at the end instead of marinating with the meat so they were wilty. Other than that, I think I like this recipe from Cuisine at Home and my original recipe equally as well - both yummy, just different.
Bulgogi
adapted from Cuisine at Home
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup rice vinegar
4 tbsp. soy sauce
4 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced (I had bought some and then couldn't find it so I used 3-4 tsp. ground ginger and it was fine)
2 tbsp. garlic, minced
3 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1 tsp. sambal (spicy chile paste)
1 tbsp. water
1 tsp. cornstarch
1 flank steak, cut into strips (The original recipe called for rib-eyes but I had this on hand.)
Salt and pepper
Sliced scallions
Toasted sesame seeds
Preheat grill to high. Simmer sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and sambal together in a small saucepan over high heat. Combine water and cornstarch in a small boal, then whisk into the sauce. Return mixture to a boil and simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
Season steak with salt and pepper; grill meat until done. Toss in sauce. If desired, set some aside for dipping. We just tossed it in all the sauce. Garnish with sesame seeds and scallions. Serve with vermicelli and vegetables.
Sesame Rice Vermicelli
4 oz. dry rice vermicelli
2 tbsp. scallions, thinly sliced
1 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
1 tbsp. toasted sesame seeds
Prepare vermicelli according to package instructions and cool. Toss with remaining ingredients.
Spicy Pickled Vegetables
2 tbsp. rice vinegar
1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. sambal
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 cup carrots, sliced into matchsticks (There was supposed to be a radish too but I didn't have it so I just increased the amount of carrots. If you have both, do 1/3 cup of each.)
1/2 cup cucumber, seeded, sliced into half-moons
Whisk ingredients until sugar and salt dissolve. Pour marinade over vegetables is a resealable plastic bag and refrigerate 1 hour. Don't leave them any longer than this or they'll get too soft and very spicy. Drain in a colander before serving.

4 comments:

Cortney Clegg said...

just curious, how long did this one take you? It looks Delicious, but is there lots of prep involved? :)

nikki said...

Nope - it was pretty easy. A little more prep than your average week-day meal but not too bad. I did it on a Sunday so it was perfect. I did the veggies first, then the noodles, then the meat. On a weekday, I might cut the veggies and the meat in the morning and maybe even make the sauce and then do the rest at dinner time. Good luck - you should totally try it! It was yummy!

Carrie said...

Hey! Yummy! I love Korean steak...and I've never made the rice vermicelli. Did you and the boys like the veggie slaw?

I'm impressed you tried a new recipe for the similar thing. I have the hardest time with that kinda stuff...if I know I like something...trying a new one is a big deal because what if I don't like the new one? But what if I like it better but can't compare side by side...

my recipe for Korean steak came from my Japanese roommate and it's a bit different from your parents one...but they are more similar I think - than this one? hmmm. last time I tried it, i couldn't remember well enough to decide which I liked better.

what will you make next time?

Karen M. said...

I'm going to try it today-wish me luck! Dad always panics when the meat isn't marinated first. I'll let you know what the verdict is from the rest of the fam. Thanks for sharing!