Thursday, February 12, 2009

Homemade Marshmallows

I was browsing through all of my holiday stuff that I tear out of magazines looking for a good idea for a teacher gift for the boys to take to school on Valentine's Day and I came across these homemade marshmallows. They reminded me of my friend Kimberlee Beifuss in Camarillo who was the queen of treats. She used to make these all the time and even taught us how at an Enrichment night but I had never made them on my own. Today's the day I thought!
Homemade Marshmallows
Confectioners' sugar
2 packets unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Spray an 8" square baking pan with vegetable cooking spray. Dust heavily with confectioners' sugar. In a mixing bowl, sprinkle gelatin over 1/3 cup cold water and let set for 10 minutes.
In a saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, salt and 1/3 cup water. Bring to a boil to dissolve sugar, then boil 4 minutes more.


With mixer on low speed, pour hot sugar syrup into gelatin. Continue beating until completely mixed. Turn mixer to high and beat 10 to 15 minutes more, until mixture has doubled in volume and is completely white. Beat in vanilla.



Spread mixture in the prepared pan. Wet hands to smooth top. Let set 3 hours or overnight. Turn onto a cutting board dusted with confectioners' sugar. Cut into squares with a sharp knife. Toss with confectioners' sugar to coat all sticky sides. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

Overall an easy recipe, meaning not labor-intensive but super messy!! Confectioners' sugar, scooping sticky marshmallow out of the mixer and into the pan - you get the idea. But really pretty and really yummy! The boys said they tasted like vanilla ice cream that wasn't cold.

7 comments:

Carrie said...

wahoo! I actually just thought about this idea of yours TODAY! I was loving some of my recipies and wondering if I should put them on mine...but then thought of you. I've also always wanted to try to make these goodies myself! Have you tried any in Hot Chocolate? Oh yea...Hot chocolate wouldn't be so exciting in 80 degree weather:)

You've got to go get that camera fixed! i hear there's lots of sports action going on in your household! We miss your updates:)

And good luck when Rico goes on his trip! Whoa!

Erica said...

I can't wait to try them! Yeah I am glad that you are doing this! It will give me motivation to cook more and try new things! Hooray!

Amy said...

I'm excited for this site too! Do you want to have multiple contributors like we talked about? Can't wait to see what else you post!

nikki said...

I am totally up for multiple contributor's and then it could be the sister's kitchen for all us sisters and SIL's!! What do you think? I am going to post dinner from last night soon.

Oh and Carrie - it's only 65 here! :)

Cortney Clegg said...

YAY! I am excited for your food blog- I'm always anxious for new recipes to try. :) I love foodnetwork.com and Cooking Light...beyond that I'm clueless.

Mimi said...

This is so exciting. I love finding and trying new recipes!

Jessica said...

Yum! I can't wait to try these!