Monday, September 7, 2009

chicken with peaches and arugula

This turned out to be our new summer fave. I was initially nervous to try grilling chicken without a traditional marinade but it is amazing. Love the combination of flavors and textures!
Chicken with Peaches and Arugula
adapted from Real Simple Magazine

4 6 oz. chicken breasts

good olive oil

salt and pepper

2 medium red onions, sliced into thick rounds

2-3 peaches, diced

1 bunch arugula (4 cups)

blue cheese

candied walnuts (optional)

balsamic vinaigrette dressing

Put chicken breasts in a bag with a few tablespoons of olive oil and about 1/2 tsp. to 1 tsp. each of salt and pepper. Let it sit while the grill is heating up. Grill chicken and onions until chicken is cooked through and the onions are tender.

Toss the arugula with the peaches, blue cheese, and walnuts with the dressing. Serve with onions and chicken.

Homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette (adapted from Everday Food)

3/4 cup olive oil

1/8 cup white wine vinegar

1/8 cup balsamic vinegar (can use all balsamic but I like to cut the bite a little)

salt and pepper to taste

Shake all together in a jar with a tight-fitting lid or whisk in medium bowl.


3 comments:

Atherly Family said...

Beautiful picture! Did you use the food setting? My camera actually has a food setting, I bet yours does. I'm not a fan of arugala (I like saying it though :). But I bet you could subsitute any leafy green and it would still be as yummy. Did you do the grilling or is that still Patrick's domain? I've never even touched a grill. How much do you love peaches!! They're the best with just about everything! Glad you updated this recipe blog!

nikki said...

I believe I used the food setting - either that or the close-up setting which you'll see on tomorrow's post. And you will be so proud of me - I did grill that chicken!!

I love arugula (don't really know why but it is my favorite green right now) but know it would be delicious with spinach or romaine.

Carrie said...

Looks like a PERFECT summer dinner! Oh yes, and so proud of you! Do you have a gas grill? I think gas grills are more user friendly and less messy...no having to arrange dirty coals. I've started a charcoal weber a few times and decided I like that to be the man job. But gas grills like your dad's are quite easy to turn on and get cooking! Grilling makes the food so much better, but we don't have the gas grill and rarely is Scott home in time to get it all started and ready before we are famished...can you tell I want a gas grill? You can use it so much more:) I agree with Nikki, Arugula is yummy. I bet with the peaches and blue cheese it's amazing! There is a warm bacon and arugula salad at Ruth's Chris that is crazy good! I'm excited for more posts!