Thursday, March 26, 2009

Dad's Pico de Gallo


I am totally obsessed with my dad's pico de gallo. He makes it all the time when I go home to visit in the summer to use up the tomatoes he plants in his yard. I had yet to make it myself but since joining a produce co-op I have had so many tomatoes that I was trying to think of other ways to use them. Thus I have been making this all the time. The chopping is not my favorite but after making it more often, I have gotten much quicker. I eat the entire batch myself - I swear! I hate sharing it but I will definitely share the recipe with you so you can make it yourself.
Dad's Pico
5 roma (or any other) tomatoes, seeded, small dice
1 small yellow or white onion or 1/2 a large one, small dice
1 jalepeno chile, seeds and membrane removed, ultra small dice
1-2 cups cilantro, roughly chopped (I like tons but you can add what you like)
2 tsp. salt (start with this and add more if you need to)
3 tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
Combine diced vegetables in a bowl; sprinkle with salt and sugar. Stir in vinegar and stir until sugar and salt dissolve. Taste and adjust as needed. Serve with tortilla chips. Tostitos Bite Size Rounds or Scoops are my personal fave.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I also LOVE dad's salsa. It reminds me of summertime. I never thought to try and make it myself.

Ashley Bruggeman said...

This has inspired me to plant a salsa garden at our new house this summer. (I had a beautiful raised garden bed at my old house that my father built for me and we would plant a salsa garden in it every summer...) I am anxious to try out this Pico de Gallo recipe. Looks delish!

beantater said...

I'm going to try your recipe - it sounds great. We have been pigging on salsa lately, too. I use my food processor - not the same texture, but still good and much faster. Garden co-op! That is so cool. Take care, Melissa (Sterz)